Monday 21 April 2014

Black hair natural styles | 3 Signs a Natural Hair Style is Not For You | Black Girl with Long Hair | Blog Black Hairstyles

Black hair natural styles | 3 Signs a <b>Natural Hair Style</b> is Not For You | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b> | Blog Black Hairstyles


3 Signs a <b>Natural Hair Style</b> is Not For You | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b>

Posted: 20 Apr 2014 08:33 AM PDT

Share Button

Attractive-African-American-woman-looking-at-herself-in-mirror-pulling-her-curly-hair

1. Styling Takes an Unnecessarily Long Time

There are some styles that always take a long time to complete. For example, it takes up to 8 hours to put my hair into mini twists. That's not excessively long, as 150 small twists on long natural hair will take a while. But there may be styles that take you 3 or 4 times longer to complete than other naturals. And when you complete the style you might find yourself thinking, "was it really worth all that?"  A wash n' go that takes 3 hours or a simple updo that takes an hour may not be for you. If you enjoy putting in the time to achieve such styles, by all means do so. But those who feel they have to spend hours upon hours in order to achieve what they consider an "acceptable"  hair style might need to reevaluate. I honestly believe that natural hair doesn't have to take a long time to style. My hair is very coily (4a/4b if you use hair typing) and hovering around waist length.  I can spend hours on my hair but I don't HAVE to and neither do you!

2. Diminishing Returns

It's easy to figure out whether a style is excessively time consuming, but it's more difficult to determine when the benefits of a style are outweighed by its drawbacks. If you choose to wear a style that creates another set of problems for your hair, it probably isn't the best option for you.  In my case, protective hairstyles that add stress to my hairline, which has always been prone to breakage, will ultimately result in healthy ends and receding edges. Be sure that you don't continue employing a method, despite clear indications that it's harmful to your hair, just because so-and-so said her hair was 6 inches longer in a few months. Even commonly recommended styles may have adverse effects on your hair. This doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the style, or even your hair.  The style simply may not work for you.

3. You Can't "Work" It

I often focus on the relationship between technique, style and hair health in my articles, but I really believe it is important for you to feel good about the way your hair looks. There are a variety of styling options that are conducive for hair health. Don't feel that you need to wear styles that you feel are unbecoming on you. You wouldn't wear a dress that you think takes away from your best assets, so don't feel obligated to wear 'smart' hairstyles that you don't feel confident in. Earlier in my healthy hair journey, I admittedly didn't wear the cutest styles, but I felt like that was price I had to pay in order to achieve healthier hair. Fortunately, I know better now. Feeling fly and wearing healthy hair styles are not mutually exclusive. If you're wearing a style that makes you want to duck and hide when you see that certain someone coming in the other direction, then it probably isn't the style for you. Being natural isn't some form of hair martyrdom, in which you are required to sacrifice your sense of style. I sometimes sense that some women feel that way, but it simply isn't the case. Whether or not the style is considered a staple in the cannon of go-to hair styles is irrelevant. Balance wisdom with your sense of style to achieve the hair you find most desirable.

What was a sign that made you realize that a popular natural hair style didn't work for you?

Share Button

Lexi // 3B <b>Natural Hair Style</b> Icon | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b>

Posted: 20 Apr 2014 07:00 AM PDT

Share Button

IMG_2692 Introduce yourself!

L: My name is Lexi Marcel Jackson. I'm 19, from Los Angeles, California, and I am African American and Mexican.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?

L: I have been natural all my life. When I was younger I really wanted a relaxer but my mom would never allow me to get one.

How would you describe your texture?

L: Overall, I would say that my hair texture/curl pattern is 3b. In the center of my head, I do not have a defined curl pattern, which is more 3c, and my hair is extremely thick and coarse. Up until recently, I would have described my hair as unmanageable. I have since found products that work well, and make my hair a lot easier to manage!

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.

L: My styling regimen is always changing, but I do have a few staples that I could not live without! I style my hair with product after a fresh wash. After washing, I apply Virgin Coconut Oil to the bottom half of my hair. Then I use leave in conditioners, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-In Conditioning Cream and Kinky Curly Knot Today. Since Kinky Curly is a bit pricey and I have so much hair, I put some in a spray bottle to dilute it with water, and it still gets the job done! After that, I style with Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream or Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. If I need a lot of hold I will add Herbal Essences Set Me Up Mousse. IMG_2691 What does wash day look like for you?

L: I wash my hair about 2 times a week if I am wearing it curly. My scalp is very sensitive, and over time it gets build up from the products I use. Generally I apply Apple Cider Vinegar to my roots 15 minutes before washing my hair to cleanse and condition my scalp. If I have a lot of build up I will go ahead and use Shea Moisture's Curl & Shine Shampoo instead. Next I use any drugstore conditioner, but at the moment Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle Deeep Conditioner is my favorite. I then detangle and leave the conditioner in my hair for about 10 minutes before rinsing with cold water to reduce frizz.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don't have a lot of time to style.

L: If I am in a rush and do not have a lot of time, I spray my hair with my Kinky Curly Knot Today /water mixture, and braid my hair allowing my frizzy curls to fall out around my face. My go to used to be a big bun at the top of my head, but since my hair is so thick and heavy, my roots began to break off around the crown of my head.

How do you combat shrinkage? L: Shrinkage is not an issue for me. My focus is on defining my curls, which scrunching my hair and defusing with a blow dryer helps me to achieve.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?

L: Since my hair is so thick, I tend to get huge knots in the back of my head. The hair in the back rubs against my clothes and neck, which can create a huge problem. Another problem area I have is in the middle of my head, where I have no defined curl pattern, just frizzy waves. To combat both of these issues I just apply more leave in conditioners when styling, and more conditioner to those areas when washing.

What are 2 do's for your texture?

L: 1. Moisture! My hair can dry out very quickly. I use deep conditioning hair treatments from time to time to prevent breakage. 2) Wide tooth comb! I cannot detangle with anything else!

What are 2 don'ts for your texture?

L: 1. Damaging hair routines! Such as flat ironing, dyeing, blow drying etc… 2. Combing from the root to tips. I always detangle from the bottom of my hair, working my way to the roots of my hair.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?

L: Personal IG: @leximarcellaa Makeup IG: mua_lexi Any hair or beauty related questions email me! mua.lexijackson@yahoo.com

Share Button

3 Signs a <b>Natural Hair Style</b> Might Not Be For You | <b>Black</b> Girl with <b>...</b>

Posted: 20 Apr 2014 08:33 AM PDT

Share Button

Attractive-African-American-woman-looking-at-herself-in-mirror-pulling-her-curly-hair

1. Styling Takes an Unnecessarily Long Time

There are some styles that always take a long time to complete. For example, it takes up to 8 hours to put my hair into mini twists. That's not excessively long, as 150 small twists on long natural hair will take a while. But there may be styles that take you 3 or 4 times longer to complete than other naturals. And when you complete the style you might find yourself thinking, "was it really worth all that?"  A wash n' go that takes 3 hours or a simple updo that takes an hour may not be for you. If you enjoy putting in the time to achieve such styles, by all means do so. But those who feel they have to spend hours upon hours in order to achieve what they consider an "acceptable"  hair style might need to reevaluate. I honestly believe that natural hair doesn't have to take a long time to style. My hair is very coily (4a/4b if you use hair typing) and hovering around waist length.  I can spend hours on my hair but I don't HAVE to and neither do you!

2. Diminishing Returns

It's easy to figure out whether a style is excessively time consuming, but it's more difficult to determine when the benefits of a style are outweighed by its drawbacks. If you choose to wear a style that creates another set of problems for your hair, it probably isn't the best option for you.  In my case, protective hairstyles that add stress to my hairline, which has always been prone to breakage, will ultimately result in healthy ends and receding edges. Be sure that you don't continue employing a method, despite clear indications that it's harmful to your hair, just because so-and-so said her hair was 6 inches longer in a few months. Even commonly recommended styles may have adverse effects on your hair. This doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the style, or even your hair.  The style simply may not work for you.

3. You Can't "Work" It

I often focus on the relationship between technique, style and hair health in my articles, but I really believe it is important for you to feel good about the way your hair looks. There are a variety of styling options that are conducive for hair health. Don't feel that you need to wear styles that you feel are unbecoming on you. You wouldn't wear a dress that you think takes away from your best assets, so don't feel obligated to wear 'smart' hairstyles that you don't feel confident in. Earlier in my healthy hair journey, I admittedly didn't wear the cutest styles, but I felt like that was price I had to pay in order to achieve healthier hair. Fortunately, I know better now. Feeling fly and wearing healthy hair styles are not mutually exclusive. If you're wearing a style that makes you want to duck and hide when you see that certain someone coming in the other direction, then it probably isn't the style for you. Being natural isn't some form of hair martyrdom, in which you are required to sacrifice your sense of style. I sometimes sense that some women feel that way, but it simply isn't the case. Whether or not the style is considered a staple in the cannon of go-to hair styles is irrelevant. Balance wisdom with your sense of style to achieve the hair you find most desirable.

What was a sign that made you realize that a popular natural hair style didn't work for you?

Share Button

Julie // 4B/C <b>Natural Hair Style</b> Icon | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b>

Posted: 19 Apr 2014 07:46 PM PDT

Share Button

image_11

Introduce yourself!
J:
Hi! My name is Julie Thomas aka Juboolee and I'm from Philadelphia, PA. Philly stand up!

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
J:
I've been natural since about 2007, however I've recently embarked on a new natural hair journey. I big chopped on February 23, 2013. So it's been about a year and some change with my healthier natural hair. I first went natural in college. I just stopped relaxing my hair. I had no intention of rocking natural styles at the time. I was still straightening my hair pretty frequently, and didn't have any knowledge that I was ruining my natural curl pattern. Heat damage is why I decided to start all over again. Once I started wearing my hair in its natural state, I would get frustrated with the poor texture at the top of my head from heat damage. So I made the rash decision to chop it all off. I did it, and it was the best decision ever!

How would you describe your texture?
J:
I'm not too into the hair typing thing, however I would describe my hair texture as 4b/4c. My hair is very coarse, yet soft; and I have very tight curls. My curls in the front are slightly looser. Most days my hair behaves, so I have no complaints!

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
J:
Now that my hair is short my styling regimen is quite simple. I pretty much stay consistent with wash and go's when I'm not experimenting with protective styles. After my wash day routine I do a slight variation of the LOC (Leave-in, Oil, Cream) method. I apply my cream before the oil. I use Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Repair Cream then I follow with a little of the Doesn't Get Much BUTTER Than This hair dressing by The Mane Choice. I lock it all in with my handy dandy coconut oil. Then the fun part! I basically take small sections of hair and finger coil with either Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel or Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I immediately separate the coil for my desired curl. Eco Styler Gel gives me a firmer hold, and I can squeeze a few extra days out of the style. I do this about every week. When I'm too lazy to do my wash and go, I just fluff out the current W&G and rock my fro.

image_3

What does wash day look like for you?
J:
Wash days begin with pre-pooing with coconut oil. I looooove coconut oil! I'll go through and detangle my hair with the coconut oil and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes before I cleanse. I then shampoo my hair with Clear Ultra Shea Butter Shampoo. I want to soon switch to a sulfate-free cleanser, however the Clear shampoo gets my scalp clean without the stripped feeling. After that I follow up with Oyin Handmade's Honey Hemp Conditioner and comb that through for about 5 minutes and rinse. Then I deep condition with The Mane Choice's Green Tea & Carrot Deep Conditioning Mask. I let that sit for 30-45 minutes, rinse, and voila! Freshly washed and conditioned hair!

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don't have a lot of time to style.
J:
If I don't have much time to do my wash and go process I'll either wear a fluffed out afro or I'll pull out my girl Drew! Drew is my go-to curly synthetic wig lol. She got me through the awkward phase of the TWA stage and always comes through in a clutch! Lol

How do you combat shrinkage?
J:
I don't fight with shrinkage. I actually embrace it. I love my hair in its shorter state. I'm tip-toeing out of that awkward stage so I don't mind my shrunken fro right now.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
J:
My problem area is my dry scalp. I have to make sure I keep it moisturized. Every other night I'll massage coconut oil into my scalp with my fingertips.

What are 2 do's for your texture?
J:
Detangle and Moisturize. It's very important to thoroughly detangle your hair and take your time while doing so. I rarely get any knots, but I am a stickler when it comes to detangling.

My hair as well as my scalp can get really dry if I don't keep up with moisturizing regularly. I make sure I massage oil into my scalp often and seal a moisturizer or cream into my hair when styling. I also spritz my hair with water every morning to refreshen the style for the day.

What are 2 don'ts for your texture?
J:
Two dont's are sleeping without a satin bonnet and leaving a protective style in for too long. I try to limit them to 4 weeks max.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
J:
Absolutely! You can check out my blog, Journey with Juboolee at www.juboolee.com and keep up with me via Instagram and Twitter @juboolee.

Share Button

Chelsea // <b>Natural Hair Style</b> Icon | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b>

Posted: 15 Apr 2014 09:56 AM PDT

Share Button

IMG_2487

Introduce yourself!
C:
Hey there! My name is Chelsea and I'm from Houston, TX but I'm currently attending school in San Marcos, TX.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
C:
I went natural because relaxed hair was expensive to maintain. I was going off to college and there was no way I was going to keep going home to get my hair done, especially because I didn't have a car. Also, I just never enjoyed getting relaxers. I think it's been about 3 to 4 years now that I've been natural.

How would you describe your texture?
C:
I don't know my texture in terms of 3a, 4c, etc. My hair isn't coarse, but it isn't fine…it's in the middle I guess. It's extremely thick and fluffy. Some strands coil more than others. There are some parts of my hair that coil then poof in random sections.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
C:
Well, usually my hair is in the same style because I workout a lot and my hair sweats out quickly. It also depends on my mood. Usually I wash my hair every two weeks, but again I workout a lot so I have to wash my hair weekly. I then twist my hair in big twists and probably take it down the next day or the day after that. It really just depends on what I have going with school in that month.

tumblr_mykipeuB0O1s0dw5eo2_1280

What does wash day look like for you?
C:
Wash days are loooong days. I divide my hair into four sections and wash each section once or twice with Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo. Afterward I dry it section by section with an old t-shirt, apply Koils by Nature Hydrating Shealoe Creamy Conditioner to each section and let it stay on for a few hours, sometimes overnight (just depending on how much time I have). After I rinse my hair, I dry each section with a t-shirt and apply Koils by Nature Moisturizing Shealoe Leave-In Conditioner then twist my hair with castor oil and Koils by Nature Nourishing Hair & Body Butter. I usually just do large twists so my hair can dry without tangling, then I style it the next day (usually a braid out or a puff). Also, I finger detangle as much as I can then use a wide toothed comb before twisting.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don't have a lot of time to style.
C:
My favorite go to has to be my puff/pineapple, especially when I'm going to the gym. Another is a frohawk, but I don't do that one nearly as much as the puff.

How do you combat shrinkage?
C:
I combat shrinkage (to the best of my ability) with braid outs. I usually don't do them on wet hair though because it…still……shrinks. Lol

Tell us about your hair color?
C:
I used box color from Clairol, but I don't remember the color. Whenever I first color my hair, which I rarely do, I MUST make sure my hair is thoroughly moisturized. I know it's supposed to be moisturized all the time, but it is especially crucial the weeks following fresh color.

What are 2 do's for your texture?
C:
1. Braid out all the way! 2. Castor oil is a definite do for maintaining moisture.

What are 2 don'ts for your texture?
C:
1. Wash n go's are a definite No No. 2. Having my hair out on a humid day, but that's a don't for all natural girls. Lol

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C:
Yes! IG: respectthe_fro and Tumblr: respectthe-fro.tumblr.com.

Share Button

Angela // 3C/4A <b>Natural Hair Style</b> Icon | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b>

Posted: 17 Apr 2014 06:00 AM PDT

Share Button

tumblr_lsgnphkXcd1qcsqaeo1_r1_1280

Introduce yourself!
A:
Hi! My name is Angela Tellier. I'm a professional photographer from Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
A:
I have been natural for about 9 years now. Growing up my Mom never allowed me to relax my hair. So I kept my natural curls until I was about eight. Being the only colored girl in elementary school I had a hard time accepting that my color and hair texture were beautiful and normal, and I didn't understand that they were part of my roots and who I am. So at eight I wanted to get my hair straightened. After long contemplation, my mother allowed me to do so. I kept doing this at home and at salons until I was 19. My hair looked terrible during those years. I had a lot of breakage from heat damage. Seriously, I was desperate enough to use an iron once!

My family and I lived in a small city near Harlem and you couldn't buy any black hair products around town. When I was 19 I went on a holiday to Spain after skipping the salon for a while to save money. After a few days my hair was rough and frizzy because of the combination of salt water and sunshine. It lightened up and my natural texture came through. I f-ing loved it! I hadn't seen my own texture in years, and suddenly I couldn't believe why I ever used chemicals to straighten my hair. I never did a big chop. When it comes to hair, I'm not that brave lol. I just let it grow and chopped off the ends every now and then until I had a full fro.

How would you describe your texture?
A:
I guess my hair texture would be a combination of 3C, 4A and a little 3B in the nape. It changes though over the years. I like the mix of hair types because it allows me to change it up. With a little more product and no touching while air drying, I can easily turn it into a 3B/C type, and with less product and a little pulling, I get a 3C/4A kinda situation. I colored my hair a few times blond and red, but every time I lost a lot of my length because of breakage. I like to swim also, and the chloride in the water doesn't really help keeping your hair strong and healthy. I decided that I just won't color my full head of hair, so if I really want to spice things up, I can color parts of it. I've never used it, but I've heard good things about Henna.

tumblr_lkpyjtvXCE1qcsqaeo1_1280

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
A:
I wash when I feel that my hair needs to be washed. I think once every 10 days depending on how much product I have used, or if I went out and my hair reeks of cigarettes. I use Aveda Be Curly Shampoo. It's an organic shampoo. Sometimes I like to change things up and use black soap. Next to that I use Kinky Curly Curling Custard every now and then, but mostly in the summer. I finish bottles of Kinky Curly Knot Today to be able to comb my hair in the shower. I can't go a day without my Kinky Curly (at this moment I'm out of it and it's a battle to comb the knots out).

Next to that I use Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk on my dry curls in combination with a water spritzer to pep things up, and I try to use a deep treatment mask ever week. Right now I'm trying the one from the Shea Moisture line, but I'm not really a big fan of it. I prefer Curls Curl Ecstasy Hair Tea Deep Conditioner. And EVERY day I use pure organic coconut oil and pure shea butter. Sometimes I melt a blend of the two with a dash of almond oil. The shea butter I buy on the African market comes in blocks. The coconut oil I use is from the supermarket. The one you cook with, and that smells slightly like coconut. I also use the coconut oil and shea butter as a body lotion/face cream every day. When it's wintertime I like to use Jamaican black castor oil on my ends and scalp. Before bedtime I try to twist my hair. This doesn't always work since I can be very lazy when it comes to that, but I do sleep on a satin pillowcase.

What does wash day look like for you?
A:
I have a shower that runs for 15 minutes before the hot water is done. So I wash quickly. I wet my hair almost every day and in between washing I wash with conditioner. One thing I always do when my hair is wet is put a little coconut oil and shea butter in it, and use product after. That way my curls stay hydrated all day. When I do it the other way around I have to use more product during the day.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don't have a lot of time to style.
A:
Afro, down, or a fluffy tail with bangs. I used to love box braids, but I haven't done that in a very long time.

How do you combat shrinkage?
A:
Shrinkage has never really been a problem for me. It doesn't shrink that much. Now that it's growing longer it gets kinda flat on top, but I don't mind. I can switch it up when I don't feel like big hair. When I want it more fluffy I spritz it with a combination of water and conditioner, comb it a little bit, or in the worst case blow it out; although I rarely use a blow dryer.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
A:
My nape. Every day I have knots there close to tiny dreads. It's because my clothes cause friction. I have tried a lot of things to make sure it doesn't happen, but as of now I just have to get them out every night, or make a small braid in my nape area. Next to that my scalp gets very dry in the winter, and I have some damage around my hairline from the years I used chemicals to relax my hair.

What are 2 do's for your texture?
A:
Keeping my hair conditioned is a definite do.

What are 2 don'ts for your texture?
A:
Coloring my hair and sleeping without it in twists, or without a satin pillowcase.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A:
Website: www.angelatellier.com
Tumblr: www.angelafro.tumblr.com
Instagram: angelatellier

Share Button

No comments:

Post a Comment