Friday 6 June 2014

Black hair natural styles | Why I Won't Cut Bangs in My Natural Hair | Black Girl with Long Hair | Blog Black Hairstyles

Black hair natural styles | Why I Won&#39;t Cut Bangs in My <b>Natural Hair</b> | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b> | Blog Black Hairstyles

Why I Won&#39;t Cut Bangs in My <b>Natural Hair</b> | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b>
Fitgi // 3C/4A <b>Natural Hair Style</b> Icon | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b>
6 Fun Heatless <b>Natural Hair Styles</b> for the Summer | <b>Black</b> Girl with <b>...</b>


Why I Won&#39;t Cut Bangs in My <b>Natural Hair</b> | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b>

Posted: 06 Jun 2014 06:00 AM PDT






Bangs pictured on Style icon Kara

Have you ever gone to an art gallery and admired beautiful pieces of art but knew that a similar piece of art would never "fit" in with the decorating style of your home? Well, this is how I approach some natural hair styles. Over time I have come to learn that styles that I enjoy on others and even those that I enjoyed wearing when I was relaxed may pose a problem with my natural hair.

During my college years I had a yearly routine for my hair. Right around the start of school in late August I would cut a bang just above my eyebrows. I maintained long bangs during the remainder of the fall and winter and right around February I would stop trimming my bangs. The goal was to allow my bangs to grow out long enough so that they could easily be pulled back into my ponytail during the humid summer months. The shrinkage that I experienced when I went natural made cutting my bangs seem unnecessary. Still, I sometimes missed the style I had grown so accustomed to during my early twenties. So, why won't I cut my hair into bangs and why might you want to reconsider some styles before taking the leap?

Everyday Hair

What is your "everyday" hair? Another way to phrase this question is: What are the go-to styles you wear 75% of the time? If you have a few staple hair styles that you enjoy wearing be mindful of how a drastic style change may change your routine. For me, cutting my hair a bang would mean that for a while I would likely be unable to wear my sleek banded ponytail (think of the iconic ponytail worn by singer Sade in the late 1980s). The coily nature of my hair would make the shorter hair, even with gel, frizz up. While I might enjoy the shape of a braid out or twist out with bangs, I would ultimately lose patience waiting for my hair to grow out so that I could return to wearing my favorite styles. Likewise, as you consider different hair styles, make sure that you will be okay with the change for at least the next year or longer. Otherwise, you might find yourself unnecessarily frustrated with your hair journey.

Trends Styles

Remember when everyone and their grandmother shaved one side of their head? I personally, thought it was a cute style and some women rocked the style really well. It was, however, very obviously a trend popularized by some celebrities and would likely die out before the head on my hair returned to my desired length. There is nothing wrong with mimicking popular hair trends. In fact, that's one of the fun parts about being a woman. Still, I recommend knowing what works for you rather than what is temporarily popular. It isn't that I think anything is wrong with cutting bangs on natural hair but, for me, it simply limits my regular styling routine.

Are there styles that you have sworn off once you started wearing your hair in its natural state?







Geniece

Island girl raised in the most royal of NYC's boroughs. Proud nerd, educator and recovering awkward black girl. When not listening to NPR, trying to grow spiritually, or detangling my fro, I'm searching for the best shrimp and grits in the Queen City.







Fitgi // 3C/4A <b>Natural Hair Style</b> Icon | <b>Black</b> Girl with Long <b>Hair</b>

Posted: 27 May 2014 06:00 AM PDT






Introduce yourself!
F: My Name is Fitgi Saint-Louis and I am from Long Island, New York. I currently live in the city.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
F: While in college I started looking for ways to give my relaxed hair volume. I starting using different products and drying techniques to create waves and curls. I used to relax my hair 2-3 times a year and wanted a new look. Relaxing my hair only to struggle making it curly was counterproductive so I started growing out my hair only trimming the ends when needed. It was a fun process and I had one of my best friends transitioning at the same time, which was helpful. I've had natural hair now for 5 years!

How would you describe your texture?
F: My hair is evenly one texture between 3C and 4A. I have fine strands, however my hair is dense. My wash and go is tight and curly, but as days pass the curls start to fall. One night of twists will completely change my look the following day. Wind and humidity make my hair huge – think Chaka Khan in the 80's huge.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
F: Over the course of a month I first have my hair in twists after a wash, then I let my wavy hair out. Once it loses shape I go to my updos. I used to use a lot of hair ties, which started breaking my hair in the front, so I switched to only bobby pins to create different styles. In the summer, updos keeps my neck free to air and in the winter they work as a hat. I've been challenging myself to create a new updo every day. For dance class for example, I have four twists I put into a bun.



What does wash day look like for you?
F: I detangle my hair with either Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, or organic coconut oil with some water and a wide tooth comb. If it's not too late I then wash my hair right after. I use the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo to wash then twist my hair into 8-16 sections using the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I then let it air dry. Sometimes if my hair is not too tangled I will detangle in the shower. If I have a dance performance or want to change it up I'll blow dry my hair. I just purchased a CHI Hand Shot Ceramic Hair Dryer, which helps me finish in an hour. I really like it, except when the bothersome comb attachment falls off.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don't have a lot of time to style.
F: My favorite easy style is a twisted updo. I pull all my ends above my head then turn the edges and pin to my scalp with 4-6 pins. The same technique can make a different style depending on the way I turn and where I place the ends. I love it!

How do you combat shrinkage?
F: I like to embrace shrinkage. I like the versatility of my hair being able to be above and below shoulder length. It seems like magic to some people and I enjoy their excitement.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
F: My hair can go from soft, shiny and curly to dry and limp quickly. I have to constantly keep it moisturized with my go to products. I also keep my hair in twists at night to help with the dryness.

What are 2 do's for your texture?
F: Keep it moisturized and have fun with the versatility. There are so many possibilities.

What are 2 don'ts for your texture?
F: Try not to use too much heat and don't attempt to comb out curls without some product and water. Save yourself the pain.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
F: Check out my Instagram @GiveThemHair. I also have a Tumblr blog with different updo styles that is currently under construction at GiveThemHair.com.







Meosha

Just another lover of natural hair and expression. - Style Icon Coordinator for BGLH







6 Fun Heatless <b>Natural Hair Styles</b> for the Summer | <b>Black</b> Girl with <b>...</b>

Posted: 13 May 2014 06:00 AM PDT






Who says you have to use heat to achieve styles like those listed here? If you want to learn the heatless alternatives, continue reading. Hurry up and try them before it gets too humid out there!

1. Heatless Roller Set Curls

Toni, from MyNaturalSistas, demonstrates how to achieve a beautiful heatless roller set in the above tutorial. She starts from freshly washed, damp (but not too wet) hair. Though it can be a challenge to maintain the style past a day, it may still be worth it for some of you.

2. Edgy Updo with Curls

For this look, Kim's hair is initially stretched via her heatless method, which you can view here. This method helps the eventual curls she creates (with rollers) to come out smooth and sleek. Other than rollers, you will need bobby pins and a donut bun to achieve the final look. (Though she uses a dryer to speed up the process she also states that you can let your roller set air-dry on its own.)

3. Sleek Chunky Twist Updo

This tutorial is one half of the collaboration between Simplycre8eve and Naturalmetra for bridal hair styles. However, this style does not have to be limited to just bridal events; it can be worn for many other occasions too. NaturalMetra starts from a heatless blow-out, which you can find here, to create this look.

4. Sassy Summer Updo with Bantu Knot Out

Many of NaturallyNellzy's styles are fun, including this one. Her hair is previously stretched via a "cool" blow-out, which is pretty ingenious. This method is an alternative to using heat, whether low or high, to blow dry. Afterwards, she does an overnight air-dried bantu knot set and forms this beautiful creation.

5. Dressed Up High Bun

For this style, Pure Estrogen starts from hair that is stretched via her threading method, which you can find here. She then creates this elegant spin on the traditional high bun. Watch her tutorial above for details.

6. Classic Jumbo Twist Updo

Last, but not least, is the other half of the collaboration between Simplycre8eve and Naturalmetra. For this look, Simplycre8eve starts from a heatless blow-out (via banding), which you can view here. This video actually features two styles, so you can one or both.

Ladies, what do you think about these heatless styles? Would you try any?





















No comments:

Post a Comment