Tuesday 18 November 2014

Black hair natural styles | Fedorah from Queens | Natural Hair Style Icon | Black Girl | Blog Black Hairstyles



Introduce yourself!

F: My name is Fedorah and my family is from Haiti, but I was born and raised in Queens, New York.

Did you transition or big chop? Share your natural hair journey with us!

F: I would say I did a little bit of both- I have been natural all my life but I started taking my hair health seriously in 2011. Three years ago I noticed that my hair was extremely limp and no longer curled due to the stress I had put it under with blow dryers and flat ironing. I was on a weight loss journey so with all the working out I was doing, it was pointless to straighten my hair since I would sweat it out anyway. I was more concerned about length and was against scissors, so I probably went about 4 years without a trim. My hair was long but it was unhealthy and the only way to fix it would be to cut it. I got the courage to go Devachan curly hair salon located in Soho, New York and cut off all my dead hair. By the time they were done with me my hair was above my shoulders, but I saw right away that my curl pattern had already improved.

How would you describe your texture?

F: My hair is a mixture of 3b's and 3c's. It's frizzy on the top but very curly on the bottom. My mane's behavior is very mixed lol – One day she is slaying the next day she is a brillo pad. I have noticed that I need to constantly rotate products every month because my hair stops responding or just becomes immune to the product. I would describe my strands as coarse and soft.




Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month, and the rationale behind your various styling decisions.

F: I usually do a lot of wash and gos and for days when I want a little volume I will diffuse. I rotate products so currently I am using Dark & Lovely's Anti- Breakage Hair Butter and Coconut Oil. I do a lot of buns because my job requires me to wear my hair up, and out of my face so to prevent any damage I do loose low buns and bobby pin my bangs.




What does wash day look like for you?

F: Wash days are pretty easy for me now that I have gotten to know my hair. As of right now I'm using Dark & Lovely's Anti- Breakage shampoo and conditioner along with the hair butter.




Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don't have a lot of time to style.

F: For days where time is limited I always go for high buns and two braids, simple and cute.









How do you combat shrinkage?

F: I always go for my Black Power hair pick comb and simply comb out my roots. Simple method but it works every time.




Tell us about your hair color!

F: For any coloring job I always go to the professionals, I do not take those type of risks. For the color I currently have, it was bleached blonde for the first time and I loved it but I got over it very quickly. After about 2 months I went to the salon and put a dark brown toner over it and resulted in the color I currently have. It did change my hair texture because my curls became looser and I had less shrinkage than usual.




What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require extra care and attention?

F: I would have to say the crown of requires the most attention but I kinda like the frizz . I am so tired of trying to make my hair a texture that it is not or forcing it to behave a way – so if my crown wants to be frizzy then by all means.

What are 2 do's for your texture?

F: Wide tooth combs and hair butters.


What are 2 don'ts for your texture?

F: I stay clear of bristle brushes , small tooth combs, and towels – they do my hair absolutely no justice.


Is there a blog/webpage or social media account where we can find you?

F: Yes on Twitter and Instagram – @Namedafterahat







Christina Patrice




Born, raised, and living in Los Angeles, Christina is BGLH's resident transitioning expert and product junkie. In addition to loving all things hair, she is a fitness novice and advocate of wearing sandals year-round. For more information on transitioning, natural hair, and her own hair journey, visit maneobjective.com. Or, if you like pictures follow Christina on Instagram @maneobjective.



No comments:

Post a Comment